Monday, November 2, 2009

Good Intentions, Novel Intro

Just like New Year's resolutions, some of my NaNoWriMo resolutions have already bit the dust. :( I came down with a sinus infection that has inhibited my ability to concentrate, so I only got about 300 words done yesterday and about 1,000 done so far today. But, I am not being too hard on myself and am determined to plow through tonight and get up to 3,000 words at least.

One pledge I will come through on right now is some information about my novel. I like to think of myself as a Celt. My heritage is Irish, German, and Eastern European, with a little Italian mixed in for good measure. Though the Celts are known mostly for their history in Ireland and Scotland, they were also very prevalent throughout the Germanic and Eastern European countries.

So, when I went looking for inspiration for a story premise, I turned to Celtic mythology. There, I discovered the sidhe (pronounced sh-ee), a race of faeries who had power over nature and were the complete opposite of what most people think of when they hear "faery." No little wings or faery dust, sidhe are the size and shape of humans. They have powerful control over nature and a long history of waging battle throughout Irish mythology. Faeries that kick butt -- sounds cool to me.

Based on this concept, I developed a paranormal/suspense/urban fantasy-type story that involves a cast of supernatural characters, including:
  • A sidhe queen who gives up her life to ensure a future for her daughter
  • Her halfling daughter who is raised as a human in a gravely flawed foster care system
  • A sidhe warrior who was forced to flee his homeland into the mortal world after the queen's fall
  • A collector demon (collects the powers of other magical beings upon the moment of their death) who is obsessed with the queen, her daughter, and fulfilling a prophecy that is yet to be determined
  • A sleeper villain who acts as a puppeteer among these characters to gain his revenge for a wrong that was done to him
This may sound simplistic, but I don't want to give away too much of the plot. I will post the prologue later in the week to give a taste of this little universe I've created.

3 comments:

  1. The Welsh, or Cymry, still speak a Celtic language, which is an official language of the Country; Tolkien was heavily influenced by it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! That's one thing I'm missing; some bit of Celtic language to add more character to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This actually seems very interesting. I am intrigued by the fantasy setting withing any acts, whether it be novels, plays, movies, etc. I expect there will be gigantic battles where the Sidhe uses magic? They are faeries, after all.

    ReplyDelete